How to apply
You can apply online through the University of Leeds applicant portal.
The School of Law operates a staged admissions process for MSc Law and Finance and LLM International Business Law, with selection deadlines throughout the year (see The staged admissions process section below for more information).
Applications to other Masters in the School of Law will be processed and a decision will typically be given within six weeks of receipt of a completed application.
The application deadlines for other Masters are:
- International: Thursday 29 June 2023
- UK: Friday 18 August 2023
The staged admissions process
The School of Law operates a staged admissions process for MSc Law and Finance and LLM International Business Law, with selection deadlines throughout the year.
If you apply before the application deadline for a particular stage (as shown in the table below), you will normally receive a response on or before the decision date for that stage. If you require an earlier decision in order to meet a scholarship deadline, please notify us through the My Enquiries section of the application portal once you have applied.
We receive a high volume of applications for this programme so we may need more time to assess your application. If you do not receive an offer in a particular stage, you will be notified that your application has been either unsuccessful or carried forward to be considered in the next stage. Applications will only be carried forward once.
Deadlines for courses starting in September 2023 are shown in the table below:
|Stage||Application deadline||Decision by|
|1||Friday 11 November 2022||Thursday 15 December 2022|
|2||Thursday 15 December 2022||Monday 13 February 2023|
|3||Wednesday 1 March 2023||Wednesday 12 April 2023|
|4||Friday 21 April 2023||Friday 19 May 2023|
|5||Final international deadline: Thursday 29 June 2023||Final international places awarded: Friday 14 July 2023|
|6||Final UK deadline: Friday 18 August 2023||Final UK places awarded: Friday 25 August 2023|
• All deadlines are 11.59pm UK time
• Applications for each stage open immediately after the deadline for the previous stage.
What do I need to include in my application?
Please check that your qualifications match the entry requirements for the course you are applying for, as listed in our course finder. If you have studied outside the UK, see our international entry requirements.
When reviewing applications, particular attention will be paid to academic performance. Given the competition for places, preference will be given to applicants who have exceeded or who are projected to exceed our minimum requirements.
Your application must include the following:
- Original copy of your degree certificate and transcript, or a partial transcript if you are still studying, plus a formal translation into English, if applicable
- An approved English language test* (if applicable)
- A letter of financial sponsorship (if applicable)
- Any previous UK CAS, visa and BRP documents, if you are an international student who has previously studied in the UK on a Tier 4/Student visa.
The following are optional:
- An up-to-date CV, if your chosen course requires work experience
- A personal statement, written in English.
As part of your online application you will be able to upload scanned documents.
* Applicants who have not yet completed an approved English language test may apply for a Masters course prior to taking a test.
You do not need to have fulfilled all entry requirements before applying. Provided that your application satisfies all other entry requirements, a conditional offer may be made on the basis of a predicted result – for example, the final mark of your first degree or an English language test. You must provide your final results before an unconditional offer can be made.
If you require a student visa please ensure that you allow time for your offer to be confirmed as unconditional, and to pay the tuition fee deposit or provide the sponsor evidence that is required for us to issue a CAS in support of the visa application.
The University of Leeds admissions policy can be found here.