- Start date: 01/07/06
- End date: 31/07/09
- Primary investigator: Adam Crawford
- Co-investigators: René Levy, Director of GERN
Assessing Deviance, Crime and Prevention is a 'coordination action' project under the European Framework 6 programme.
The Groupe Européen de Recherches sur les Normativités (GERN) leads the project. The project entails a consortium of thirty-one participants from over ten European countries.
It has four objectives.
- The production of scholarly added value by the systematic use of comparisons within the European Union of a number of identified issues.
- The dissemination of the scholarly added value produced within the Consortium, more widely, within the scientific community, among officials at different governmental levels throughout Europe, and to the various stakeholders in these subjects.
- The development of an interdisciplinary scientific network.
- The project will be used as a basis for constructing a lasting network, by federating and extending the pre-existing elements.
One of the workpackages of CRIMPREV focuses on the 'Perception of Crime and Insecurity' (WP4).
Within this workpackage, we will hold six seminars and conferences over two years (2007-09) where we will discuss a variety of topics related to the development of contemporary insecurities and fear of crime from a comparative perspective.
As well as exploring research into fear of crime and the causes of crime-related insecurities, the meetings will consider the extent to which perceptions of crime and insecurity inform diverse forms of governance, policy initiatives and social relations. Adam Crawford (University of Leeds) co-organises Workpackage 4.