Professor Adam Crawford
- Position: Professor of Criminology & Criminal Justice
- Areas of expertise: Policing, urban security, regulation of public space, crime prevention, youth justice, restorative justice, comparative criminal justice and criminology.
- Email: A.Crawford@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5045
- Location: 2.19 Liberty Building
- Website: | Twitter | ORCID
I am a graduate of the Universities of Warwick (Law and Sociology, First Class) and Cambridge (M.Phil Criminology) and hold a PhD from the University of Leeds.
I have held visiting positions at KU Leuven, VU Amsterdam, the Australian National University, University of New South Wales, Griffith University, Sydney University, University of Buenos Aires, Nanjing University, Penn State University and the Maison des Sciences de l'Hommes in Paris and Lyon.
I am Director of the Leeds Social Sciences Institute which works to support and enhance the Social Sciences at the University of Leeds. It does so by fostering interdisciplinary and international research collaborations, promoting relations with external partners in the public, private and third sectors and building capacity through the provision of training and skills development for the next generation of research leaders.
I am a panel member and Interdisciplinary Research Advisor for the Law Unit of Assessment (Sub-panel 18) for the Research Excellence Framework, REF 2021. I was also a panel member at REF 2014.
I am a member of the Scientific Committee of the Groupe Européen de Recherches sur les Normativités (GERN). I am also a Fellow of the Academy of Social Services and a lifetime honorary member of the British Society of Criminology. I am also a member of Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary,and Fire & Rescue Service’s Academic Reference Group.
From 2010-15, I was the Editor in Chief of the journal Criminology and Criminal Justice and I am currently an Editorial Board member of the British Journal of Criminology. I am a member of the International Advisory Boards for the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology, Criminology and Criminal Justice and Restorative Justice.
- Director of the Leeds Social Sciences Institute
- Director of the N8 Policing Research Partnership
My research interests include: public policing, private security, crime prevention, community safety, partnerships, youth justice, anti-social behaviour, victims of crime, restorative justice, urban governance and the regulation of public space.
I have successfully secured over £10 million in external research funding, mostly as principal investigator. I have managed research studies in the fields of crime prevention, community safety, victims of crime, policing and youth justice, variously funded by the Home Office, Youth Justice Board, ESRC, JRF, HEFCE, Nuffield Foundation, Leverhulme Trust, Northern Ireland Office, the College of Policing and the European Commission.
I am currently working on or recently completed the following externally funded research projects:
- Director and PI of the N8 Policing Research Partnership – a research and knowledge exchange collaboration between universities and policing partners in the north of England which has secured £7.2 million funding (including £3 million HEFCE Catalyst Grant), 2015-20.
- Principal Investigator on an Economic and Social Research Council Research Seminar Series ‘Markets in Policing: The Appetite for and Organisational, Cultural and Moral Limits to Markets in Public Policing’, 2014-17.
- Co-Investigator on a College of Policing Knowledge Fund ‘Developing Restorative Policing: using the evidence base to inform the delivery of restorative justice and improve engagement with victims’ (with Professor Joanna Shapland (PI), Sheffield University), 2015-17.
- Co-Investigator on an Arts and Humanities Research Council grant entitled: ‘The future prospects of urban parks: The life, times and social order of Victorian public parks as places of social mixing’ (with Dr Anna Barker (PI), Bradford University and Dr David Churchill, University of Leeds), 2015-17.
For further information:
- Selected list of Professor Adam Crawford's publications
- N8 Policing Research Partnership
- ‘The future prospects of urban parks’ AHRC research project
- ‘Markets in Policing’ ESRC seminar series
- Nuffield Foundation study into 'The impact of anti-social behaviour interventions on young people'
- Security and Justice Research Group, Building Sustainable Societies Transformation Fund
- Groupe Européen de Recherches sur les Normativités (GERN), CNRS
- Leeds Social Sciences Institute
- PhD University of Leeds
- M.Phil Criminology University of Cambridge
- BA Law & Sociology, University of Warwick
- Lifetime honorary Member of the British Society of Criminology
- Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences
- European Society of Criminology
In recent years, I have taught on the following modules.
- 'Crime Prevention and Community Safety' (first year undergraduate BA)
- 'Criminology', (second year undergraduate)
- 'Theories of Crime, Justice and Control' (MA programme
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Criminal Justice Studies
- Leeds Social Science Institute