How to apply
You can apply online through the University of Leeds applicant portal.
Applications to Masters programmes in the School of Education will be processed and a decision will typically be given within six weeks of receipt of a completed application.
The application deadlines for Masters courses are:
- International: Thursday 29 June 2023
- UK: Friday 18 August 2023
If applicants are also applying for a scholarship, they should ensure that the application is submitted at least 2 months before the scholarship deadline.
Please note that applications for Initial Teacher Training and MA TESOL (China) are handled by our partners, not the School of Education.
What do I need to include in my application?
Please check that your qualifications match the entry requirements for the course you are applying for, as listed in our course finder. If you have studied outside the UK, see our international entry requirements.
When reviewing applications, particular attention will be paid to academic performance and, for some courses, the personal statement. Given the competition for places, preference will be given to applicants who have exceeded or who are projected to exceed our minimum requirements.
Your application must include the following:
- Original copy of your degree certificate and transcript, or a partial transcript if you are still studying, plus a formal translation into English, if applicable
- A personal statement (please read the guidance below)
- An up-to-date CV, if your chosen course requires work experience
- An approved English language test* (if applicable)
- A letter of financial sponsorship (if applicable)
- Any previous UK CAS, visa and BRP documents, if you are an international student who has previously studied in the UK on a Tier 4/Student visa.
As part of your online application you will be able to upload scanned documents.
* Applicants who have not yet completed an approved English language test may apply for a Masters course prior to taking a test.
Important guidance for personal statements
In the statement, we are looking for evidence of the qualities that you will bring to the programme and student community. We also want to understand how studying a programme with the Faculty of Social Sciences will help you meet your career aspirations. Please ensure that you address the following in your personal statement:
- What skills, qualities and experiences would you bring to the programme and how will they help you succeed?
- How will the opportunity to study at the Faculty of Social Sciences help you in your academic, personal and professional development?
- What are your career aspirations and how will successful completion of this programme help you achieve them?
Your personal statement should be written in English and be your own work.
You do not need to have fulfilled all entry requirements before applying. Provided that your application satisfies all other entry requirements, a conditional offer may be made on the basis of a predicted result – for example, the final mark of your first degree or an English language test. You must provide your final results before an unconditional offer can be made.
If you require a student visa please ensure that you allow time for your offer to be confirmed as unconditional, and to pay the tuition fee deposit or provide the sponsor evidence that is required for us to issue a CAS in support of the visa application.
The University of Leeds admissions policy can be found here.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) information
If you hope to gain any experience working with children during your time with Leeds, you’ll need to apply for a DBS check to be able to do so.
If you are an international student, you will need to bring a police check from your home country with you. This document will need to be presented to any potential employers within the UK.
This is not an entry requirement as working with children is not an integrated part of our masters programmes but it may be an additional activity you choose to pursue while studying.
You can find guidance on DBS checks and equivalent checks for international applicants on the DBS website.