Dr Anne Luke
- Position: Lecturer in Childhood Studies
- Areas of expertise: Childhood studies; childhood and youth in global contexts; Latin American Studies; Cuban Studies; the history of childhood and youth; theoretical and philosophical perspectives on childhood and youth.
- Email: A.C.Luke@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3791
- Location: Hillary Place
I joined the School of Education in January 2018 as a Lecturer in Childhood Studies. Originally trained as an historian, completing my doctorate in the history of youth in Cuba at the University of Wolverhampton in 2007 as a member of the Cuba Research Forum, I now work on a broader interdisciplinary platform, integrating my historical work into the broader field of Childhood Studies. I work within a framework of affirmative, activist ethics and my work takes account of the need to fundamentally decolonise the Global South research agenda (as developed in the North) and research into childhood and youth.
- Director of the Inclusion, Childhood and Youth Research Centre
My work on youth in Cuba has been published in my monograph Youth and the Cuban Revolution. You can hear me discuss this work in a podcast on the website of the Society for the History of Childhood and Youth here: https://www.shcy.org/features/books/youth-and-the-cuban-revolution/
I am interested in how childhood and youth have been constructed differently under differing political and social systems. My work is interdisciplinary in focus, drawing together the political, the social and the cultural to demonstrate the complexity of young lives and the concept of youth. I explore how dominant and dominated voices are represented and how spaces of resistance and/or expression are discovered and used by children and young people. I am currently working on developing our understanding of childhood and youth subjectivities through an exploration of everyday encounters in transnational gatherings of children and young people.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Cuba Research Forum (Executive Committee Member)
- Children's History Society
- Society for Latin American Studies
I work across the BA and MA Childhood Studies programmes.
Research groups and institutes
- ICY: Inclusion, Childhood & Youth Research Centre