Professor Alice Deignan
- Position: Professor of Applied Linguistics
- Areas of expertise: lexical approaches to language analysis and teaching, and applications of corpus linguistics to the study of metaphor, metonymy and pragmatics
- Email: A.H.Deignan@education.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4606
- Location: Hillary Place
- Website: Twitter | Researchgate
I have worked as a teacher of English and Teacher Educator in various countries in Europe and Asia. I have also worked as a lexicographer and author for Collins COBUILD.
I am a researcher and teacher in applied linguistics, with particular interests in lexical approaches to language analysis and teaching, and applications of corpus linguistics to the study of metaphor, metonymy and pragmatics.
I am on the editorial boards of the journals 'Metaphor and Symbol', 'Annual Review of Cognitive Linguistics' and 'Metaphor and the Social World'.
My research interests are in lexis, metaphor and pragmatics. I use large-scale corpora to investigate issues in these areas, using analytical techniques developed from corpus lexicography. I am interested in the language of mainstream schooling, and the challenges that this presents for some students.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
I teach modules on language description and language skills at undergraduate and Masters level.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Language Education