Our Faculty community is made up of staff and students from across the UK and around the world. We deeply value the diversity of perspectives that this brings to our research and our student experience. We are actively working to improve our existing practices, raise awareness, and address structural inequalities in order to create an inclusive, welcoming and equitable environment for all.
The Faculty Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (FEDIC) provides oversight and leadership for EDI work across the Faculty.
The Committee is chaired by Dr Kerri Woods, and reports to the Faculty Management Team. The Committee meets four times a year and is made up of representatives from across the Faculty and relevant University services.
If you would like to contact the committee, please email Faculty Project Officer, Jouna Ukkonen.
Information and resources
Learn more about EDI at Leeds
- Our Faculty EDI Action Plan aligns with our commitments under the University’s Equality and Inclusion Framework and subframeworks on Race Equality and Disability Equality, and our Faculty Athena Swan Bronze Award.
- The University’s Equality and Inclusion Unit is a key place to find information about University EDI policies, institutional frameworks and equalities data. The Unit also provides access to support and resources on a wide range of equality and inclusion issues.
- The policy on dignity and mutual respect outlines the University’s policy against bullying, harassment and victimisation, together with complaints procedures for staff and students
- LinkedIn Learning provides several courses on equality, diversity and inclusion. All colleagues and students with a University login can access these for free (see the quick start guide). Some examples include:
- The University’s Access and Student Success Strategy outlines the University’s vision and approach to ensuring students from all backgrounds are able to progress to, and benefit from, an enriching and successful experience at Leeds.
- The Inclusive Teaching website provides resources and guidance on embedding inclusivity into our learning and teaching activities.
- The Decolonising website outlines the University’s Decolonising Framework and provides resources to support staff in decolonising their teaching.
- The University Sharepoint site also lists lots of good practice and resources to support student success.
- EDI in PhD supervision: this blogpost provides some useful advice for those who supervise doctoral students.
- Leeds University Student Union (LUU) provides support to students on a range of equality and inclusion issues as well as health and wellbeing. The LUU Equality and Liberation Officer champions equality and diversity across the University and the city and promotes student voices.
- Disability Services supports disabled students and their academic departments, providing information on adjustments as well as information about funding and other forms of support.
- There are a number of staff networks: Leeds11 (for staff from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds); the LGBTQ+ Staff Network; the Muslim Staff Network; Women@Leeds; and the Chronic Pain and Fatigue Network.
- EDI in research: the Faculty Research & Innovation Office can provide advice and signposting on EDI considerations in research projects and funding applications.
- The University HR website lists the various policies related to e.g. parental leave; work-life balance and flexible working; and performance and development.
- Organisational Development and Professional Learning (OD&PL) also provide resources on equality and inclusion, including for leaders and managers.