- Start date: Ongoing
- Funder: The Institute of Physics
- Primary investigator: Professor Phil Scott
- Co-investigators: Philip Britton - Leeds Grammar School Director, Ian Lawrence - Birmingham University co-leader, Bob Kibble - Edinburgh University, Billy McClune - Queens University Belfast, Keith Miller - University of Northumbria, David Stancliffe - University of Newcastle, Gren Ireson - Loughborough University, Jonathan Osborne - Kings College London
The aim of the project is addressed through a CD-ROM based resource, which will be worked through with teachers in the context of custom-designed professional development programmes. The set of CD-ROMS covers all of the physics topics of the 11-14 science curriculum and each CD is organized around three key components for each topic:
- The physics story: an account of the subject matter to be taught
- Teaching and learning challenges: the key teaching and learning issues
- Teaching approaches: teaching activities to address the teaching and learning challenges
The resource has been developed through reference to both the relevant science education research and to state-of-the-art professional teaching expertise.
The project started in Summer 2002 and the full set of CDs will be complete by Easter 2005, after which a major programme of national CPD events will get under way.
School of Education
University of Leeds