This course is designed for students who do not have a traditional academic background. For example, you may have missed out on education, had significant mitigating circumstances or be returning to education after a break.
Are you eligible?
This course is available to UK residents and EU citizens with UK Settled Status.
This programme is part of the University’s widening participation strategy (take a look at our access and participation plan) so we also look to this to guide our recruitment. With this in mind, you have to also meet at least two of the criteria below:
- Your permanent address is in a neighbourhood with low progression to higher education. Use our online postcode checker to check yours.
- You attended a school which achieved less than the national average of five A*-C / 9-4 passes (including English and Mathematics) at GCSE, or attainment 8 score at GCSE in a state school. We use the All England State funded attainment 8 score, excluding applicants from selective and/or independent schools.
- You grew up in public care.
- Your household income is less than £25k.
- You will be the first member of your immediate family (excluding older brothers or sisters or your own children) to achieve a degree.
- Your studies have been adversely affected by circumstances in your personal, social or domestic life.
- You are a mature learner, over 21 years old.
We usually look for evidence of some previous study at GCSE level, such as Mathematics and English at GCSE grade 4/C or equivalent.
If you don’t have the GCSE level needed, you could complete our Alternative Entry Scheme. As part of this, you might be asked to take tests in English and Maths. Contact us: SocialScienceFY@leeds.ac.uk
We do not consider A Level qualifications as part of our entry requirements. However, if you do have A Level qualifications we would not consider A Level grades above an average profile of CCC. Note: If you have an A Level average profile of BCC and your studies have been adversely affected by circumstances in your personal, social or domestic life, then contact us: SocialScienceFY@leeds.ac.uk
For full course details please visit BA Social Science (foundation year) course page.