Dr. Lata Narayanaswamy
- Position: Associate Professor in the Politics of Global Development
- Areas of expertise: decolonising development; gender and development; knowledge; civil society; power; South Asia; East Africa
- Email: L.Narayanaswamy@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4507
- Location: 14.19 Social Sciences Building
- Website: LinkedIn
Since 2001 I have worked as a research practitioner, consultant and lecturer in gender and development. My research problematises how knowledge is actualised as a driver of development in both discourse and practice.
Before joining Leeds in 2014, I held Lecturer and Visiting posts at the Universities of Sheffield and Hull in the UK, and at Carleton University and York University in Canada. I was awarded my PhD from the University of Durham in 2011.
- Programme Director for BA International Development
My research, inspired by my time working as a knowledge-for-development practitioner, critically reflects on gendered/intersectional and post/decolonial dynamics of development knowledge and its perceived contribution to global development challenges. I am currently involved in applied, interdisciplinary research related to climate change, water security and decolonising development. Below are some links to on-going, interdisciplinary research projects in which I am involved:
- Trustee, Gender and Development Network, UK https://gadnetwork.org/meet-the-team
I lead on the final year module PIED 3207 International Development and Social Policy.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Global Development