Dr Stuart McAnulla
- Position: Associate Professor in Politics
- Areas of expertise: contemporary British politics; ideological and institutional change in the UK; political atheism; religion and politics
- Email: S.D.McAnulla@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5014
- Location: 14.05 Social Sciences Building
Before coming to Leeds, I completed a PhD and taught at the University of Birmingham.
I also worked for a year as a researcher at the University of Central England, where I also taught a public policy course. My particular interests are in: contemporary British politics; ideological and institutional change; political atheism; religion and politics. I am co-convenor of the Political Studies Association specialist group on Religion and Politics. I am also a member of the Centre for Religion and Public Life here at the University of Leeds.
- Director of Student Education
Key areas include:
- The ideological direction of the UK politics following Brexit
- Political leadership and rhetoric
- The politics of secularism and the ‘New Atheism’
Other areas of interest include the role of public intellectuals; theories of power, and the role of philosophy/social theory in political analysis.
- PhD in Political Science, University of Birmingham
- BA Politics (Ist class honours), University of Strathclyde
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and teaching in Higher Education, University of Leeds
- IOSH certificate
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Political Studies Association
- The End of British Politics?
- Advanced Political Analysis
I am also part of teaching teams on modules concerning Brexit and political methodologies
Research groups and institutes
- Leadership, Parties and Institutions
- Political Theory and Cultural Values
- Centre for Contemporary Political Theory