Dr Stuart McAnulla
- Position: Associate Professor in Politics
- Areas of expertise: contemporary British politics; ideological and institutional change in the UK; political atheism; religion and politics
- Email: S.D.McAnulla@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5014
- Location: 14.05 Social Sciences Building
Before coming to Leeds, I completed a PhD and taught at the University of Birmingham.
I also worked for a year as a researcher at the University of Central England, where I also taught a public policy course. My particular interests are in: contemporary British politics; ideological and institutional change; political atheism; religion and politics. I am co-convenor of the Political Studies Association specialist group on Religion and Politics. I am also a member of the Centre for Religion and Public Life here at the University of Leeds.
- Director of Student Education
Key areas include:
- The ideological direction of the UK politics following Brexit
- Political leadership and rhetoric
- The politics of secularism and the ‘New Atheism’
Other areas of interest include the role of public intellectuals; theories of power, and the role of philosophy/social theory in political analysis.
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- PhD in Political Science, University of Birmingham
- BA Politics (Ist class honours), University of Strathclyde
- Postgraducate Certificate in Learning and teaching in Higher Education, University of Leeds
- IOSH certificate
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Political Studies Association
- The End of British Politics?
- Advanced Political Analysis
I am also part of teaching teams on modules concerning Brexit and political methodologies
Research groups and institutes
- Leadership, Parties and Institutions
- Political Theory and Cultural Values
Current postgraduate research students
Postgraduate research opportunities
The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.