Dr Christine Margerum Harlen
- Position: Lecturer in US Politics and International Political Economy
- Areas of expertise: international political economy; comparative political economy; United States politics
- Email: C.M.Harlen@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4405
- Location: 14.02 Social Sciences Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
I have a BA in History and an MA and PhD in Political Science from Northwestern University in the United States. I have been a visiting researcher at the Institute for European Studies at Cornell University. My main interests are international political economy and comparative political economy.
- Programme Manager, Joint Honours Economics and Politics
I conduct research on how U.S. political thought, particularly its nationalist and populist strands, affects U.S. relations with the outside world. I have written on how the United States' sense of having an exceptional mission has shaped U.S. attitudes towards Americans abroad and am now working on publications examining the politics surrounding the U.S. government’s attempts to promote technological competitiveness since the 1970s.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- M.A. Political Science, Northwestern University
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Northwestern University
- American Political Science Association
- Political Studies Association
I teach International Political Economy at MA level and U.S. politics at the undergraduate level. Previously, I taught German Politics, US foreign policy, and the Politics of Trade and Industrial Policy.