Dr Katie Hodgkinson
- Position: Lecturer - Education in Global Development
- Areas of expertise: Education in International Development; Education for Social Justice; Peacebuilding; Education in Conflict; Youth Engagement in Sustainable Development; Participatory Arts and Non-Formal Education
- Email: K.A.Hodgkinson@leeds.ac.uk
Based in the School of Politics and International Studies and the School of Languages, Cultures, and Societies, my work focuses on interdisciplinary and youth-led approaches to education, post-conflict society, and international development. My research examines the role of youth engagement in formal and non-formal education for social justice and peacebuilding in conflict-affected contexts.
At the University of Leeds, this work has been situated within “Changing the Story” – a Global Challenges Research Fund project that examines how the participatory arts can support youth-centred approaches to civil society building in 12 countries living with the legacy of conflict. I similarly teach in the field of Education and International Development.
Prior to joining the University of Leeds, I worked in the Department of Governance and Inclusive Development at the University of Amsterdam on both large and small-scale research and development projects. This included “Her Choice”, a Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) alliance that worked with partners in 10 countries, and a project commissioned by SOS Children’s Villages into the social exclusion of vulnerable youth in care.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Education and International Development
- MSc International Development
- BSc(Econ) European Politics and International Relations
- INEE - Inter-agency Network for Education in Emergencies
- BAICE - British Association for International and Comparative Education
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy