Dr Ilaria Zavoli
- Position: Lecturer in Law
- Areas of expertise: international criminal justice; money laundering; cryptocurrencies; international human rights law; international law.
- Email: I.Zavoli@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4991
- Location: 1.20 Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
I became a Lecturer in Law at the School of Law in April 2018.
Previously, I have been a Research Fellow at the School of Law, Politics and Sociology of the University of Sussex, working on a British Academy funded project about money laundering in the UK real estate market. I also completed my PhD at the School of Law of the University of Leeds with a research project on in absentia proceedings in international criminal justice.
I hold a Law Degree cum laude and a Postgraduate Specialization Diploma in Law cum laude from the University of Bologna. I also hold an Advanced LL.M. in Public International Law (specialisation international criminal law) from Leiden University.
- Academic Integrity Officer for the School of Law
- Co-Module Leader IHRL LAW2142
My research interests lie in three areas:
- International Criminal Law and International Law. I am particularly interested in all aspects of international criminal justice, prosecution of international crimes before international and national courts, the conduct of in absentia proceedings, and the work of the professional category of international lawyers.
- Criminal Law. My research expertise and interest regard anti-money laundering legislation and policies (especially with reference to the real estate market), the use of new technologies (e.g. cryptocurrencies) for money laundering purposes, and money laundering in the construction sector.
- Academic Integrity. I am interested in the implementation of Academic Integrity (AI) rules in Higher Education. Specifically, I research international students’ understanding of and approach to AI. I also research best practices for AI in a digital/blended learning environment.
- PhD International Criminal Law - University of Leeds
- Adv. LL.M. Public International Law, specialization International Criminal Law - Leiden University
- Postgraduate Specialization Diploma in Law - University of Bologna
- Law Degree - University of Bologna
- Fellow of the HEA
I hold a PG Certificate in Academic Practice. I have extensive teaching experience which covers a variety of UG and PG modules:
- An Introduction to Law (LAW1076)
- Criminal Law (LAW1260)
- International Human Rights Law (LAW2142)
- International Law (LAW2146)
- New Frontiers of Security, Conflict and Justice (LAW5005M)
- International Criminal Law (LAW5146M)
- Frontiers of Security, Conflict and Justice (LAW5301M)
- Postgraduate Legal Research Skills (LAW5662M)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Criminal Justice Studies
- Centre for Business Law and Practice
Current postgraduate researchers
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/310-money-laundering-in-construction-projects">Money laundering in construction projects</a></li>