The Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) and the British Academy Knowledge Frontiers Symposium
- Date: Tuesday 8 December 2020
- Location: Montebello, Quebec, Canada
- Interval: Every day
- Until: Thursday 10 December 2020
- Cost: Refer to 'Logistics' section
The CIFAR and the British Academy are inviting applications for early career researchers in the humanities and social sciences to attend a research collaboration symposium on the theme of ‘security'.
The symposium aims to encourage and establish international engagement and collaboration between early career researchers from Canada and the United Kingdom from a broad range of disciplines within the humanities and social sciences, encouraging the exchange of ideas across both disciplinary and national boundaries.
Purpose and focus
This symposium will aim to draw on the insights of the humanities and social sciences to explore varied understandings and experiences of security, and how security can be and has been conceptualised, represented, lived and addressed. Security is, and has always been, a major factor determining the shape and contours of the lives and cultures of people, communities and nations. The study of security can bring to bear insights from across the humanities and social sciences including literature, philosophy, religion and history. Security can be understood in many ways and at different societal, cultural and economic levels. Security itself can also have positive and negative connotations with direct and indirect effects and impacts.
Applicants should provide a completed application form, including:
- A CV which should not exceed two pages;
- A one-page summary of their initial thoughts on the theme of security which could include discussion on one or more of the three outlined topics above;
- An outline of what disciplinary and interdisciplinary skills and / or experience they would contribute to the symposium; and how the symposium could help to develop their own research and career.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy's Grant Management System (GMS), Flexi-Grant®.
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 6 May 2020 at 17.00 (UK time).
We will seek to notify successful applicants by July 2020.
The symposium will take place in Montebello, Quebec, Canada from Tuesday 8 to Thursday 10 December 2020 with arrival on Monday 7 December 2020. The costs of travel and accommodation for participants will be covered by the organisers, in accordance with their travel policies.
Contact Christina Moorhouse at email@example.com