Dr Huahui Zhao
- Position: Lecturer in Language Education, LITE TEP lead
- Areas of expertise: language assessment and feedback; technology enhanced learning; language testing; collaborative learning in traditional and technology-enhanced learning contexts
- Email: H.Zhao1@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5593
- Location: 1.19 Hillary Place
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate
I joined the University of Leeds in 2017 as a Lecturer in Language Education after working as a Lecturer in TESOL/Applied Linguistics at the University of Liverpool and Manchester Metropolitan University.
I obtained my PhD from the University of Bristol in 2008 before I was appointed as a postdoctoral research fellow in distance education at Umeå University, Sweden.
I have been teaching and researching on language assessment and technology-enhanced teaching and learning. I am also keen to develop innovative research methods to facilitate interdisciplinary research between language education and technology enhanced education.
- Co-programme leader for BA TESOL and BA English Language Education
- Undergraduate Assessment Officer
- School Library Representative
My research interests mainly lie in language assessment and feedback (in particular writing assessment) and technology-enhanced teaching and learning (in particular in the context of computer mediated communication). I am particularly interested in exploring learner agency in collaborative learning in assessment and technology-mediated education. I've published widely in these areas in key journals including British Journal of Educational Technology, Assessing Writing, ELT Journal and Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education.
I've just completed an international collaborative project which explored the applicability of the CEFR for tertiary EAP writing instruction in China, funded by the British Council ELTRA Award. The main aim of the project was to align teaching, learning and assessment in examination-oriented instruction contexts. Further details could be found via the project website: https://cefrinchina.leeds.ac.uk/.
I am currently working on a teaching-enhanced project, funded by the Leeds Institution forTeaching Excellence. The project investigates the introduction, implementation and impact of new assessment criteria across disciplines at the University of Leeds.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in TESOL/Applied Linguistics (University of Bristol)
- MA in Educational Studies (University of York)
- BA in English Linguistics and Literature (China)
- British Association for Applied Linguistics
- International Language Testing Association
- British Education Research Association
- BALEP (British Association of Lectures in English for Academic Purposes)
I've been involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in language assessment and testing, technology-enhanced learning, and language analysis. I've also been supervising undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations within the School of Education. I am currently co-supervising two PhD students in the area of language testing and technology-enhanced language learning, respectively.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Language Education