Dr. Mohammad Javad Ahmadian
- Position: Lecturer in TESOL
- Areas of expertise: Task-Based Language Teaching and Learning; Instructed Second Language Acquisition; Cognitive Individual Differences; Conversation and Dialogue
- Email: M.J.Ahmadian@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9707
- Location: 1.11 Hillary Place
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate
I am an applied linguist specialising in instructed second language acquisition and task-based language teaching and learning. I joined the School of Education at University of Leeds in 2015 as a Lecturer in TESOL and before that I spent 7 years at the University of Isfahan (Iran) as part-time lecturer, teaching fellow, and assistant professor of applied linguistics.
- Director of MA TESOL Programme
- School Lead for Academic Integrity
I have been publishing extensively on the following topics in international peer-reviewed journals. A full list of my publications is available on my Google Scholar profile.
- Task design and task sequencing (focusing on planning and repetition)
- The relationship between working memory capacity and various task factors and instructional conditions
- Learers' and teachers' perceptions of task-based language teaching
- Complexity, accuracy, and fluency in L2 speech
- Self-repair behavior and speech production processes
- Quantitative and qualitative research design and analysis
I am currently co-editing (with Prof. Mike Long) The Cambridge Handbook of Task-Based Language Teaching
I have been invited to present my research at various universities across the world (e.g., Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, University of Pittsburgh, Texas A & M University, University of Murcia) and in the UK (e.g., Newcastle University, Lancaster University and UCL).<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Applied Linguistics
- MA in Applied Linguistics
- BA in English Language and Translation
- International Association for Task-Based Language Teaching (IATBLT) vzw
- Higher Education Academy
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Since 2015 I have been teaching and leading various undergraduate and postgraduate modules at Leeds. In 2019/20 I will be leading/teaching the following modules:
- EDUC 1040: Second Language Acquisition
- EDUC 5909: Introducing Task-Based Language Teaching into Classrooms and Systems
- EDUC 5901: Learning and Teaching in TESOL
- EDUC 5902: Investigating Language for TESOL
- EDUC 3009: Analysing Language Learning
- EDUC 2081: Research Methods for TESOL
In May 2018, I delivered a three-day invited course on Task-Based Language Teaching for MA programme in Language Acquisition in Multilingual Settings at the University of Basque Country (Spain).
External academic activities
Convenor: BAAL Language Learning and Teaching SIG
In 2016, I guest-edited The Language Learning Journal’s special issue on Task-based Language Teaching and Learning.
In 2018, I co-edited (with Prof. Maria del Pilar Garcia Mayo) Recent Perspectives on Task-Based Language Learning and Teaching.
Editorial Board Member: RELC Journal (2015-present)
Editorial Board Member : Language Learning Journal (2014-present)
Editorial Board Member: ELT Journal (2013-2015)
Ad hoc reviewer for: Language Learning, Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Modern Language Journal, TESOL Quarterly, Language Teaching Research, Second Language Research, International Review of Applied Linguistic (IRAL), International Journal of Applied Linguistics, and System.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Language Education