- Start date: 1 May 2004
- End date: 30 November 2006
- Funder: Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Primary investigator: 00045312
Brief description of the project
This research will investigate ways that mathematics, done in secondary mathematics classrooms, can be linked to or undertaken in a manner similar to how it might be approached in out-of-school activities.
- to understand the problems in linking school mathematics to out-of-school activities;
- to understand how learning activities can be designed so that links between school mathematics and out-of-school activities are made manifest;
- to understand the role of the teacher and of resources/tools in making links between school mathematics and out-of-school mathematical activities;
- to develop a set of measures to evaluate the learning outcomes of designed learning activities.
The project will run from May 2004 until November, 2006. The principal phase of the project will be school-based and will run during the 2004/05 and 2005/06 academic years. John will work with a small number of teacher-researchers to develop tasks and monitor learning.
An eight page description of the project is available in the following formats: