There are many different reasons for studying a Masters degree in the School of Sociology and Social Policy. Whether you want to boost your career or continue on to a research degree, a Masters can help you to stand out. Many students choose a Masters to continue a subject they are passionate about, or to specialise in a particular area.
During your studies you’ll have a number of opportunities to develop your skills and have access to careers advice and support.
Studying at postgraduate level will enable you to develop:
- your ability to evaluate sociological research at an advanced level
- the skills to generate your own research and present this within the field of current research
- your ability to examine the social world and how social research can impact upon social policies.
A postgraduate degree from the School of Sociology and Social Policy provides an excellent foundation for work in the public and third sectors with careers in social research, charity organisations, think tanks, or in the private sector in a range of business settings. In recent years Masters graduates have gone on to work in roles as:
- Inclusive Practice Project Officer
- Teacher of English as an Additional Language
- Senior Disability Advisor
- Education Research Coordinator
- Sexual Health Project Worker
- Civil Servant
- National Management Trainee
And at organisations including:
- National Centre of Social Research
- World Health Organisation
- Leeds City Council
- The Times of India
- Women’s Aid.
A Masters degree can really help you to stand out in today’s competitive job market. Our award-winning careers centre is on hand to support you from day one, with a variety of support including:
- career guidance appointments
- support with your CV
- interview advice and practise
- careers fairs and employer presentations
- access to a vacancy database advertising local, national and global vacancies.
You will also have access to the Leeds Network - an online careers networking tool where you can find out about career opportunities from our alumni across the globe.