You can apply online through the University of Leeds applicant portal.
The application deadlines for Masters courses in the School of Sociology and Social Policy are:
- International: Friday 28 June 2024
- UK: Friday 16 August 2024
You do not need to have fulfilled all entry requirements before applying. Provided your application satisfies all other entry requirements, a conditional offer may be made on the basis of a predicted result: for example, the final mark of your first degree or an English language test. You must provide your final results before an unconditional offer can be made. The deadline for meeting your conditions is Monday 12 August 2024, 23:59 UK time.
This is to allow applicants who need a Student route visa time to be confirmed as unconditional, and to pay the tuition fee deposit or provide the sponsor evidence that is required for us to issue a CAS in support of the visa application.
If your offer has been confirmed as unconditional, the deadline for paying your deposit or providing exemption evidence is Monday 26 August 2024. For more information, see our guidance on how to pay your deposit, or provide deposit exemption.
If applicants are also applying for a scholarship, they should ensure that the application is submitted at least 2 months before the scholarship deadline.
What do I need to include in my application?
Please check that your qualifications match the entry requirements for the course you are applying for, see the course page for details.
When reviewing applications, particular attention will be paid to academic performance and the personal statement. Given the competition for places, preference will be given to applicants who have exceeded or who are projected to exceed our minimum requirements.
Your application must include the following:
- Original copy of your degree certificate and transcript, or a partial transcript if you are still studying, plus a formal translation into English, if applicable
- A personal statement (please read the guidance below)
- An up-to-date CV, if your chosen course requires work experience
- An approved English language test* (if applicable)
- A letter of financial sponsorship (if applicable)
- Any previous UK CAS, visa and BRP documents, if you are an international student who has previously studied in the UK on a Tier 4/Student visa.
- As part of your online application you will be able to upload scanned documents.
* Applicants who have not yet completed an approved English language test may apply for a Masters course prior to taking a test.
Important guidance for personal statements
In the statement, we are looking for evidence of the qualities that you will bring to the programme and student community. We also want to understand how studying a programme with the Faculty of Social Sciences will help you meet your career aspirations.
Please ensure that you address the following in your personal statement:
- What skills, qualities and experiences would you bring to the programme and how will they help you succeed?
- How will the opportunity to study at the Faculty of Social Sciences help you in your academic, personal and professional development?
- What are your career aspirations and how will successful completion of this programme help you achieve them?
Your personal statement should be written in English and be your own work.