A degree from the School of Politics and International Studies provides you with the knowledge and transferable skills for a successful career.
In recent years our graduates have gone on to work in public and private sector roles across the globe, in organisations and government such as:
- UK Parliament
- Civil Service
- Leeds City Council
- British Council
- The Home Office
- Jefferson Communications (PR)
- Temple Translations (specialist legal and financial translators)
- Mackenzie Stewart (Global Executive Search and Selection).
Throughout your studies, you’ll have a number of opportunities to develop key employability skills, including the chance to:
- undertake a work placement year to gain experience relevant to your career aims, or to test a potential job choice whilst gaining practical experience
- apply for a parliamentary placement if you are studying BA Politics
- study abroad to experience life in another culture — all of our courses allow you to undertake a study abroad year and BA International Development also offers a semester abroad route
- gain the quantitative skills valued by employers with Q-Step option modules
- develop entrepreneurial skills with help from our Enterprise Centre
- broaden your experience with 250 student-led clubs and societies.
This July I know that I will graduate with confidence about finding a good career, a better understanding of the world we live in, friends for life and countless happy and fun memories of my time at Leeds.
We encourage you to prepare for your career from day one. That’s one of the reasons Leeds graduates are so sought after by employers. Whether you know exactly where you want to be, or you’re just wanting to make the most of all the opportunities available, we are here to support you.
You’ll have access to the University’s award-winning Careers Centre, who are on hand to support you throughout your time at university and beyond. We offer one-to-one support for creating your CV, searching for jobs and internship opportunities, application support and mock interviews, as well as specialist career discovery modules.
There are a number of graduate and internship career fairs throughout the year, where top employers come to campus to recruit our students. In fact, Leeds is one of the top 10 Universities targeted by Top Employers in 2017-2018 (The Graduate Market in 2018, produced by High Fliers Research) in the UK.
Leeds for life
Your personal tutor, who you’ll meet with regularly, will be involved in guiding your academic and personal development. Using Leeds for Life, they will encourage you to keep a personal and active record of all you have achieved. This will help you to complete application forms and prepare for interviews.
The Leeds Network
Leeds has an extensive network of alumni with a wide range of experiences. You can contact alumni from the School of Politics and International Studies to find out how they might be able to help you with your career aspirations.