Professor Michael Thomson
- Position: Chair in Health Law
- Areas of expertise: Health law; children’s rights; legal and political theory; legal humanities; feminist theory; law and social studies of science.
- Email: M.A.Thomson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5052
- Location: 1.17 Liberty Building
I am a graduate of the Universities of Southampton (LLB) and Birmingham (PhD Law). I joined the School of Law in July 2013. I am also Professor of Health Law at the University of Technology Sydney. I co-direct the School's Centre for Law & Social Justice with Jennifer Hendry.
I have held visiting positions at the University of Sydney, University of Technology Sydney, the International Institute for the Sociology of Law, and Cornell and Emory Universities.
- Director of Research & Innovation
- Director of the Centre for Law & Social Justice
My research interests span the fields of health law, children’s rights, and legal and political theory. In health law, I have written on the legal regulation of reproduction, particularly the historical role of the medical profession in the development of abortion law. With children, I have written extensively on non-therapeutic genital cutting. More generally, my work in children's law explores children's rights and how decisions are made that will impact on health and wellbeing. In terms of legal and poltical theory, I am particularly interested in theories that centre the body as a means of rearticulating the responsibilities of the state.
Across the different areas of research, my work is underpinned by an exploration of the relationship between health and social justice. This is reflected in my current research that addresses legal and political responses to environmental epigenetics. These emerging scientific claims link physical and social environments of deprivation and disadvantage to long term, potentially intergenerational, health defects.
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- PhD (University of Birmingham)
- LLB (University of Southampton)
- Socio-Legal Studies Association
- Society of Legal Scholars
- Vulnerability and the Human Condition Initiative
- Human Development and Capability Association
I teach Health Care Law and Theories of Social Justice (on the new LLM in Law & Social Justice).
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Law and Social Justice
Current postgraduate research students
Postgraduate research opportunities
The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.