- Position: Associate Professor in Law
- Areas of expertise: Article 8 ECHR privacy right; Article 10 ECHR free expression right; misuse of private information; image rights; copyright; prerogative power; judicial review; Iraq war; critical legal theories.
- Email: R.Z.Moosavian@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0625
- Location: G.20 Liberty Building
I joined Leeds Law School in 2018 to teach and research media law, intellectual property law and constitutional law. I have published in the areas of misuse of private information and legal regulation of image as well as constitutional issues raised by the Iraq war and Covid-19 lockdown measures. I have presented my research nationally and internationally.
After qualifying as a solicitor with North East-based ‘legal aid’ firm Ben Hoare Bell, I joined Northumbria University law school where I taught jurisprudence, IP, and undertook course leadership and LLM Dissertation Director roles. In 2009 I successfully completed an M(Phil).
I am currently a member of the executive board of the SLSA (Socio-Legal Scholars Association) and I previously acted as co-convenor for the jurisprudence stream of the SLS (Society of Legal Scholars).
- Programme Leader of LLB (Graduate Programme)
My ongoing research concerns the Article 8 privacy right and its conflict with the Article 10 free expression right in misuse of private information law. My recent works in this area have focused on how the law regulates our visual image and the medium of photography. I have also published constitutional analyses of the Iraq War and, more recently, the Covid-19 lockdown measures, particularly focusing on judicial review. My research across these areas entails applied legal-political philosophy, especially critical theories. I investigate law as a knowledge-making practice, analyse the challenges of information control and the idiosyncrasies of legal language.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
- Legal Practice Certificate
- LL.B (Hons)
- Society of Legal Scholars
- Socio-Legal Scholars Association
I have 20 years’ experience of teaching jurisprudence and intellectual property law at undergraduate and LLM levels. I currently teach intellectual property law, media law and constitutional law. I also supervise undergraduate and LLM dissertations across my teaching and research areas.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Business Law and Practice
- Centre for Law and Social Justice