Dr Nick Cartwright
- Position: Lecturer in law
- Areas of expertise: Critical Race Theory; Critical Race Pedagogy; legal education research; inclusive pedagogy; physician assisted suicide; critical legal studies; firearms reduction.
- Email: N.Cartwright@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.05 Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I joined the School of Law in 2022, prior to this I was a Senior Lecturer in Law at the University of Northampton (2013-22), LLM Programme Manager at Kaplan Holborn College (2010-13), Teaching Fellow at the University of Reading (2008-09), Teaching Fellow at Keele University (2006-07) and Lecturer in Law at the University of Hertfordshire (2000-06). I have also worked as an expert panel member on firearms on United Nations missions in Vienna and Panama City (2018) and been a VIsiting Fellow at Mahatma Law School, Shendi University in the Sudan (2001).
I am National Teaching Fellow (AdvanceHE), a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a member of the Transforming Access and Student Outcomes (TASO) Sector Network, a member of the LIving Black at University Commission, a Senior Advisor (EDI) for the Halpin Partnership and an external member for the Centre for Advancing Race Equality (CARE) (University of Northampton).
- EDI Lead for the School of Law
My PhD explores the relationships of dominance and subordination in the context of race and identity in legal education and I was recently involved in the research team for the Living Black at University project. I am currently researching inclusive pratice in Higher Education and decolonising all aspects of the student experience. I regularly write for WonkHE on issues relating ot inclusion and previously was a contributor to the HuffPost.
I have worked with the United Nations on firearms reduction and wrote two of the chapters in Firearms: global perspectives on consequences, crime and control (2021, Routledge).
My MPhil was in medical law and bioethics and I have written on physician assisted suicide.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD (Northampton)
- MPhil by thesis in law (Keele)
- PGCert HE (Herts)
- LLB (Dual Hons) in Law and Philosophy (Keele)
- Senior Fellow of the HEA
- Member of the TASO Sector Network
- National Teaching Fellow (AdvanceHE)
I teach on the following modules:
- Law and Society (LAW2620)
- European Union Law (LAW2230)
- Foundations of Law (LAW1200)
- Crime, Inequality and Social Issues (LAW1166)