Dr Paolo Sandro
- Position: Lecturer in Law
- Areas of expertise: jurisprudence; constitutional law; administrative law; european union law; regulation theory; political theory; philosophy of language; philosophy of action
- Email: P.Sandro@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar
I joined the University of Leeds in November 2021 as a Lecturer in Law, having previously worked at the University of Salford (Manchester) and at Liverpool Hope University.
I hold a PhD in Legal Theory from the University of Edinburgh and one in Public Law from the University of Roma Tre (Rome). At Roma Tre I also completed my Laurea Triennale (2002-2005) and Laurea Specialistica (2005-2007) in Law. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and have been a visiting postdoctoral fellow at the University of Bergamo (Italy).
My main areas of research are:
- legal theory
- public law (UK and comparative)
- regulation theory
- political theory
- philosophy of language
- philosophy of action
My first monograph, entitled ‘The Making of Constitutional Democracy: From Creation to Application of Law’, brings all my research interests together. It does so through an integrated jurisprudential methodology, which combines insights from different disciplines (including history, anthropology, political science, philosophy of language, and philosophy of action) while also casting new light on long-standing issues in analytical jurisprudence and public law. The book will be published by Hart Publishing/Bloomsbury in January 2022, as part of the prestigious Law and Practical Reason series.
My work has been published, among others, in edited collections in legal theory by Springer (open access here), in Res Publica, and in Rivista Italiana di Diritto Pubblico e Comunitario.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Legal Theory (University of Edinburgh)
- PhD in Public Law (University of Roma Tre, Rome)
- Laurea Specialistica in Law (University of Roma Tre, Rome)
- Laurea Triennale in Law (University of Roma Tre, Rome)
- PG Cert in Teaching & Learning in HE (Liverpool Hope University)
- Higher Education Academy
- Society of Legal Scholars
- UK Constitutional Law Association
- International Association of Legislation
- IVR - International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy
I teach undergraduate modules within the fields of public law and legal theory.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Law and Social Justice