Pedro Magalhães Batista
I have joined the University of Leeds in October 2021 as a Lecturer in Commercial, Corporate, and Banking Law. My academic scholarship explores the role of innovation, digitisation, and polycentric governance in financial markets.
From 2019 to 2021, I was a research associate at the Institute of Law & Economics, University of Hamburg, and a member of the Law, Finance, and Technology research team. During the first half of 2018, I was also a Visiting Scholar at the Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for International, European, and Regulatory Procedural Law. And, between 2017 and 2018, I was a research assistant at the Research Center SAFE – Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe and an Adam Smith Fellow at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.
Before my academic career, my past professional experiences include legal practice as a corporate lawyer in Brasilia; Division Chief at the Secretariat of Micro and Small Enterprise at the Brazilian Republic Presidency; and Legal Assistant at the Administrative Council for Economic Defense (the Brazilian antitrust authority) and the Ministry of Justice of Brazil.
My research interests include capital markets and financial regulation, in particular payments, financial market infrastructures, fintech, banking, and crypto-assets markets. More recently, I have been investigating the regulation of bank, fintech, and non-traditional players partnerships (e.g. Big Tech) in payments and finance, and regulatory and supervisory technologies and experimentation. Moreover, my methodological approach incorporates institutional and organizational economics, robust political economy, and empirical legal studies.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD candidate in Law (Law & Economics of Money and Finance), Goethe University Frankfurt
- LL.M. in International Law (Investments, Trade, and Arbitration), Heidelberg University
- LL.B., University Center of Brasilia
- European Corporate Governance Institute
- Network for Constitutional Economics and Social Philosophy
- Entangled Political Economy Research Network
- Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics
- Order of Attorneys of Brazil
I currently teach on the following modules:
- Principles of International Financial Law (LAW5584M);
- International Banking Law: Capital Markets (LAW5565M); and
- Corporate Finance & Securities Law (LAW5556M).
I am the Module Organiser for Corporate Finance & Securities Law (LAW5556M).