Dr Karina Patricio Ferreira Lima
- Position: Lecturer in Commercial Law
- Areas of expertise: International Economic Law and Governance; International Financial and Monetary Law; Law of Money and Banking; Financial Regulation; Law and Political Economy; Legal Institutionalism; Sovereign Debt.
- Email: K.Patricio@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: The Liberty Building (Room 2.39)
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
I joined the School of Law in December 2020 as a Lecturer in Commercial Law. My main area of research is international economic law, with a focus on global economic governance and the law of money, finance and sovereign debt.
Before joining the School I completed my PhD at Durham Law School, where I held the highly competitive and prestigious Modern Law Review Scholarship (2018-2020) and Durham Law School Studentship (2017-2020). My doctoral thesis builds the political economy foundations of international sovereign bankruptcy law. Inspired by the Law and Political Economy movement, legal institutionalism and heterodox economics, my research is driven towards transforming the global economy through institutional innovation.
I am affiliated to the Association for the Promotion of Political Economy and the Law (APPEAL) and the Young Scholars Initiative (YSI), supported by the Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET). I am also chair of the IEL Collective’s Law & Finance Working Group, where I do research and policy work on sovereign debt in collaboration with academic and policy partners in the UK and beyond.
My research interests centre on the constitutive role of law over the world’s economic organisation, with a particular focus on international economic law. My areas of expertise include global economic governance, international financial institutions, and the international legal architecture of money and finance. I am particularly interested in the role of financial and monetary legal infrastructures in development and environmental sustainability strategies, including in the fields of sovereign debt and sovereign insolvency.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Law, Durham University
- MA in International Affairs, Latin American School of Social Sciences (Distinction)
- LLB in Law, University of Buenos Aires (First)
I presently lead the postgraduate module on International Trade Finance Law (LAW5585M).
I am also part of the following teaching teams:
- Foundations of Law (LAW1200) (UG), led by Dr Mitchell Travis
- International Economic Law (LAW5830M) (PGT), led by Professor Fiona Smith
- Principles of International Financial Law (LAW5584M) (PGT), led by Dr Zinian Zhang
- Corporate Finance & Securities Law (LAW5556M) (PGT), led by Dr Pedro Magalhães Batista
- International Banking Law: Capital Markets and Loans (LAW5565M) (PGT), led by Professor Gerard McCormack
My academic support hours are on Mondays 10-11am and Fridays 5-6pm. To book a time slot, click here.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Business Law and Practice