Dr Karina Patrício Ferreira Lima
- Position: Lecturer in Commercial Law
- Areas of expertise: International Economic Law and Governance; Financial and Monetary Law and Regulation; Law and Political Economy; Law and Macroeconomics; Sovereign Debt.
- Email: K.Patricio@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 2.28 The Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds as a Lecturer in Commercial Law in 2020. I am passionate about teaching, research, and policy engagement in the field of financial and monetary law, particularly in the context of International Economic Law.
I am a member of the Centre for Business Law and Practice (CBLP) and serve as the programme manager for the MSc Law & Finance, LLM International Banking and Finance Law, and LLM International Business Law programmes.
My work has been recognised with several notable awards, including the 2022 Society of International Economic Law-Hart Prize in International Economic Law and the 2022 John H. Jackson Prize, awarded by the Journal of International Economic Law.
I am fluent in English, Portuguese, and Spanish, and have reading proficiency in Italian and French.
- Programme Manager, MSc Law & Finance
- Programme Manager, LLM International Banking and Finance Law
- Programme Manager, LLM International Business Law
My research interests centre on the constitutive role of law over the world’s economic organisation, with a particular focus on International Economic Law. My primary area of expertise is global economic governance, with a focus on the legal aspects of money, finance, and sovereign debt. I am particularly interested in the role of financial and monetary legal arrangements in developmental and environmental sustainability strategies. My research explores the legal governance of sovereign debt crises, the law and policy of international financial institutions, and the macroeconomic impact of financial law and regulation.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP), University of Leeds
- PhD in Law, University of Durham
- MA in International Affairs, Latin American School of Social Sciences (Distinction)
- LLB in Law, University of Buenos Aires (Distinction)
- BA in Legal Translation, University of Buenos Aires (Distinction)
I am part of the following teaching teams:
- International Trade Finance Law (LAW5585M) (PGT), led by myself
- Corporate Finance & Securities Law (LAW5556M) (PGT), led by Dr Pedro Magalhães Batista
- International Banking Law: Capital Markets and Loans (LAW5565M) (PGT), led by Professor Gerard McCormack
My academic support hours are on Mondays from 10-11am and Thursdays from 6-7pm during term time. To book a slot, click here.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Business Law and Practice