I have done LLM International Commercial Law with merit from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom and BA LLB (Integrated) from Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University Pune, India. I also have almost one year experience of working in a legal firm in India. I gained working experience in legal data extraction, drafting legal documents, reviewing and vetting contracts, providing legal opinions, researching various central, state, and international laws, and conducting meetings with the clients and clients’ acquisitions and negotiations.
My research addresses the issue of regulatory and policy measures of Non-Performing Loans (NPLs) across various jurisdictions. The global financial crisis (GFC) significantly impacted the global economy across many jurisdictions, including advanced economies during 2007-09. Recent COVID-19 posed serious challenges to maintain financial stability in a situation where many jurisdictions have taken several decisions to provide some relief to the community. The GFC was a period of extreme stress in the global financial market and the banking system resulting in millions of jobs losses.
The financial crisis led to a slowdown in all the economic sectors. Many banks around the globe suffered significant losses and were dependent on the government to avoid insolvency and bankruptcy. The basic cause of the GFC was providing excessive lending to boost the economic environment. However, due to the failure of real estate sector, the repayment capacity of borrowers started falling, resulting in increased NPLs ratios in many countries across the globe. Despite implementing strong regulatory and policy measures to control the level of NPLs, the desired results could not be achieved, and NPLs remained relatively higher.
Therefore, my research seeks to answer the following research questions by undertaking a comparative study of regulatory, supervisory and policy initiatives taken by the UK, India, and Ireland:
- Do existing regulatory regimes have strong provisions to regulate NPLs?
- Have the central banks made effective policy mechanisms to address the problems of NPLs?
- What is the level of coherence between regulatory and policy measures, and how do dual vs single control on banks influence performance?
- Is there a requirement for a new policy, supervisory and regulatory measures to bridge the gap?
- What will the impact of Covid-19 on NPLs?
- LLM International Commercial Law, University of Strathclyde Glasgow, UK
- BA LLB (Integrated)