- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thesis title: Realising the right of persons with disabilities in Uganda to enjoy legal capacity on an equal basis with others. An evaluation of the most effective measures that can be taken to enable persons with disabilities to exercise their right to legal capacity.
- Supervisors: Professor Luke Clements, Professor Ilias Trispiotis
Peter Ochieng is a commonwealth PhD scholar at University of Leeds. For Peter Ochieng, earning a PhD in law is an opportunity to enhance his knowledge, skills and network to contribute to the development of laws and policies that challenge practices that perpetuate exclusion of Persons with Disabilities through restriction of their legal capacity. Peter joined University of Leeds with wealth of experience in disability rights advocacy gained since 2010 when he started his work with disabled persons organizations in Uganda as a disability rights advocate. Peter worked as a Disability Inclusion Facilitator at Light for the World, a global disability and development organization where he contributed to the innovation of the make 12.4% work initiative currently leading the promotion of inclusive disability employment in Uganda. He also worked at Uganda National Association of Cerebral Palsy as the Information officer and project officer in charge of inclusive education.
Peter holds a masters degree in International and European Human Rights Law from the University of Leeds, A diploma in Development Leadership from Coady international Institutes Nova Scotia Canada and a bachelors degree in Microfinance from Kyambogo University Kampala Uganda. He plans to use his PhD to contribute to the development and implementation of supported decision-making regime in Uganda.
- The implementation of United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability, disability law and policy and the inclusion of persons with disabilities in education, employment, community, health.
- Intersectionality, diversity and inclusion
- Sexual and reproductive rights
- LLM. International and European Human Rights
- BA. Microfinance
- Dip. Community Development Leadership