Dr Betzabé Torres Olave
I joined the University of Leeds as Research Fellow in science education in September 2022. Before that, I worked as a research assistant and associate teacher at the University of Bristol, where I also did my PhD in Education with a focus on science teachers’ agency in the context of educators’ communities.
Before coming to the UK, I worked as a physics teacher educator and physics lecturer at the faculty of science in the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso and as a secondary physics teacher in a state school.
My research interests are centred around educators' agency, collective praxis, and justice-oriented pedagogies in the context of [science] education. My research critically debates how neoliberal agendas have shaped science education, looking for counternarratives to such a project in educators' daily practices through the concept of critical hope.
Philosophically, I am interested in Paulo Freire's philosophy of education and feminist philosophies of science. I am also interested in qualitative methodologies, physics education research, and inter and transdisciplinary praxis.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Education University of Bristol
- MRes Educational Research University of Bristol
- MA Philosophy of Science Universidad de Santiago de Chile
- Bsc Pedagogy in Physics Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso
- European Science Education Research Association ESERA
- British Association for International and Comparative Education BAICE
- Science Educators for Equity, Diversity, and Social Justice SEEDS