I am Innocent Tasara, FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, BSc (Hon) Mathematics (Leeds), Dip Education Mathematics (Zimbabwe), PGCE (with QTS) Mathematics (Leeds), MA Mathematics Education (Leeds). I am a Lecturer in Mathematics Education and the programme leader for the MA Education.
I joined the School of Education in April 2012, after teaching mathematics in secondary (11-18) schools in Leeds and Halifax since 2008. However, my teaching career dates back to 1997 when I undertook my first teaching qualification and taught mathematics in Zimbabwe. For the last 5 years, I have been heavily involved in Initial Teacher Education (ITE). I have been the course leader for the PGCE Secondary Mathematics and the Teaching Advanced Mathematics (TAM) programmes. Currently, my teaching activities are primarily on Undergraduate programmes but also contributing to PGT provision and PGR supervision.
- Lecturer in Mathematics Education
- Programme Manager: MA Education
- UG School placements academic coordinator
My research interests are firmly rooted in mathematics education. Areas of interests include teaching and learning of school mathematics, post-16 mathematics education and calculus. I have a keen interest in commognition theory, but also social constructivists and problem-solving perspectives and approaches to teaching and learning mathematics; in mathematical knowledge for teaching, teacher education and professional development.
- How do teachers of mathematics teach calculus? This is my study investigating the teaching of differential calculus to post 16 students by teachers of mathematics, in England. The aim of the study is to contribute to the knowledge base for improving the teaching and learning of calculus in secondary schools, and the teaching and learning of mathematics teaching (teacher training).
- The early take-up of Core Mathematics: successes and challenges; Working collaboratively within a team of four researchers on this Nuffield Foundation-funded research project (£250K plus). This is a three-year project, which started in 2017. http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/early-take-core-mathematics
Tasara, I. Making sense of the teaching of calculus from a commognitive perspective. The 42nd Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME 42), Umeå, Sweden, July 3 – 8, 2018.
Tasara, I. Commognitive analysis of a teacher’s mathematical discourse on the derivative. The British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM), Liverpool Hope University, England, November 11th 2017.
Homer, M., Mathieson, R., Banner, I. & Tasara, I. The early take-up of Core Maths: emerging findings. The British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM), University of Oxford, June 9 – 10, 2017.
Tasara, I. Activity theory as an analytic lens for viewing the teacher's professional activity: a case study on the teaching of calculus. The British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM), Loughborough University, 10 – 11 June 2016.
Tasara, I. Commognitive approach in the analysis of a teacher’s mathematical discourse on the derivative. The British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM), University of Oxford, June 9 – 10, 2017.
BSRLM Conferences: 08/06/13 - Sheffield Hallam University; 16/11/13-Edinburgh University; 06/06/15 - Durham University; 10-11/06/16 - Loughborough University; 9-10/06/17- Oxford University; 11/11/17 - Liverpool Hope University; http://www.bsrlm.org.uk/previous-conferences/
AMET (Association of Mathematics Education Teachers) – Manchester University, 15 October 2016; Birmingham, 2013; http://www.ametonline.org.uk/
PME 37 (July 28-August 2, 2013 - Kiel, Germany); http://www.igpme.org/index.php/publications/print-on-demand
PME 42 (3 – 8 July 2018, Umea, Sweden); http://www.pme42.se/
ACME Conference - Mathematically Thinking (9 July 2015, The Royal Society, London) http://www.acme-uk.org/events/2015-acme-conference
Royal Society ACME Conference - Working together: Mathematics education in a changing landscape (17th July 2018, The Royal Society, London); https://royalsociety.org/science-events-and-lectures/2018/07/acme-conference-2018/
BCME 8 (British Congress of Mathematics Education) University of Nottingham, 14-17 April 2014; https://www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk/events/bcme8-building-bridges---making-connections
Research Students' Conference 2013, 9th May 2013 at University House, University of Leeds. http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/research-students-education-conference/2013<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD (In progress); 2014 - present, University of Leeds
- FHEA-Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2013-2015, University of Leeds
- MA in Mathematics Education, 2009 – 2011, University of Leeds
- PGCE Mathematics, 2007–08, University of Leeds; Dip in Education-Mathematics, University of Zimbabwe
- BSc (Hon) Mathematics , 2004 – 2007, University of Leeds
- International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME)
- British Society of Research into Learning Mathematics (BSRLM)
- Mathematical Association (MA)
- Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI)
- The Association of Mathematics Education Teachers (AMET)
- National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM)
ITE - Teacher Education
Since 2012, my teaching activities have been primarily on teacher education, as the leader for the PGCE Secondary mathematics course (for initial teacher education) and the Teaching Advanced Mathematics (TAM) programme (for training to teach Advanced (post-16) level mathematics. The latter programme was provided in conjunction with the Mathematics in Education and Industry (MEI: http://mei.org.uk/).
UG - Undergraduate
Since 2016, my teaching activities at the undergraduate level have increased quite significantly with the introduction of the BA Education programme in 2017. I am the Undergraduate School Placements Academic Coordinator for UG programmes that involve school or educational setting placements.
PGT - Postgraduate Taught Programmes
I am the programme manager for the MA in Education programme. My teaching activities within the PGT provision also include personal tutoring and dissertation supervision. Previously, I also taught on the MA in Mathematics Education programme.
PGR - Postgraduate Research
I contribute to and support in the supervision of mathematics education studies.