- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thesis title: The Year Abroad experience from the student perspective: affective challenges faced by UK language undergraduates in Italy and the coping strategies they adopt
- Supervisor: Dr Judith Hanks
Originally from Rome, I have completed my BA in Interpreting and Translation (2014) at the University of Trieste (Italy), focusing on Italian, English, Russian and Portuguese. I then moved to the UK and completed my MA in TESOL at the University of Hull (2017) whilst working there as a lector of Italian for three years. Since 2015, I have been teaching Italian and interpreting at undergraduate level (at the University of Hull and at the University of Leeds) and I have worked as an English tutor in the annual summer pre-sessional courses. During the times of Covid-19 I have experienced many hours of online teaching, becoming familiar with Zoom and Teams and with useful apps for language learning to enhance my students’ learning.
My learning and teaching experience gave me the opportunity to observe and reflect on the Year Abroad and its impact both on Italian and UK students. The multiplicity of perspectives and effects related to the Year Abroad experience inspired my PhD project and are guiding my research.
My research interests include (but are not limited to): the Year Abroad experience, affective challenges in the Year Abroad, teaching and learning methods, language teaching and learning, the concepts of identity and culture. I am also very interested in the researcher-participant relationship and the co-creation of reality in qualitative research projects.
- MA in TESOL (Dissertation on Inspiring Language Teachers)
- BA in Interpreting and Translation (Italian, English, Russian and Portuguese)