Professor Adrian Favell
- Position: Chair in Sociology and Social Theory
- Areas of expertise: Migration; European Union; Japanese contemporary culture; cities; contemporary art and architecture; social and political theory; philosophy of social science
- Email: A.Favell@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8489
- Location: 12.14 Social Sciences Building
- Website: Adrian Favell (personal website) | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I joined the School in August 2015, from Sciences Po, Paris, where I was a Professor of Sociology. I was previously Professor of European and International Studies at Aarhus University, Denmark, and Professor of Sociology at UCLA.
I am an interdisciplinary sociologist with a background in human geography, political science, political philosophy and comparative literature, and have a strong interest in mixed methods (qualitative/quantitative), research design, and the philosophical foundations of social research.
My inaugural lecture at Leeds introduced current research towards a book I am writing about socially engaged art and architecture in Japan since the end of its economic bubble in the early 1990s. The book project is supported by funding from the Toshiba International Foundation.
I also convene a weekly informal research seminar on Political Demography (POPMOB), which in Spring 2016 discusses readings on “Population Mobilities and Neo-Liberalism”.
I am associate editor of Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, and on the editorial committee of Journal of Common Market Studies. I am also Professorial Academic Associate of the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures, Norwich, and a chercheur associé of the Centre d’études européennes, Sciences Po.
Please see my personal website for further information and links to publications.
POPMOB (Political Demography Seminar)
- Deputy Director, Leeds Social Sciences Institute
- International Coordinator, School of Sociology and Social Policy
- urban, regional and global studies
- nations, nationalism and citizenship
- contemporary art and architecture
- Europe/EU, Japan/East Asia, Turkey, India
- analytical and critical social theory
- post-growth economy, culture and society.
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
I teach primarily on our MA programmes, including lectures and seminars in social and political theory, research methods, political economy, demography, media and inequalities.
Research groups and institutes
- The Bauman Institute
- Centre for Ethnicity and Racism Studies
- Leeds Social Science Institute
Current postgraduate research students
- Alex Chelegeer
- Sel Lee
- Hebah Alkhaldi
- Elvin Balajanov
- Magali Eben
- Ashley Kilgallon
- Omar Mashjari
- Shatha Shannag
- John Gannon
- Mr James Greenwood-Reeves
- Philip Yeung
Postgraduate research opportunities
The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.