Dr Kim Allen
- Position: Associate Professor in Social Inequalities (Teaching & Research)
- Areas of expertise: The sociology of youth and education; youth transitions and inequalities of class, gender and race; class, gender and popular culture
- Email: K.Allen1@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 12.09 Social Sciences Building
An interdisciplinary feminist researcher, my research is located at the intersections of youth studies, sociology, gender studies, and cultural studies.
I have published widely on issues including: youth and graduate transitions; educational inequalities; representations of class and gender in popular culture; and the cultural politics of austerity. My co-authored book - Celebrity, Aspiration and Contemporary Youth: Education and Inequality in an Era of Austerity – was published by Bloomsbury Press in 2018.
I have worked on a range of research projects, including: ‘Celebrity Culture and Young People’s Classed and Gendered Aspirations’ (ESRC); Young women’s transitions in austerity (British Academy); and ‘Living Gender in Diverse Times’(ESRC).
I sit on the editorial board of the British Journal of Sociology of Education; the Journal of Poverty and Social Justice; and the Journal of Cultural Analysis and Social Change.
- Deputy Director of Research
- Module Convenor - Reality TV: Truth or Fiction
- HEA (Fellow)
I am module leader for Reality TV: Truth or Fiction (SLSP5370M)
I also teach on several modules across the school at undergraduate and postgraduate levels on topics including:
- the sociology of gender
- educational inequalities and identities
- youth culture and sub-cultural studies
- gender, the media and popular culture
- research methods (qualitative)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies