Dr Kim Allen
- Position: University Academic Fellow
- Areas of expertise: The Sociology of youth and education; Inequalities of class, gender and race; Class, gender and popular culture
- Email: K.Allen1@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 12.09 Social Sciences Building
My research interests span a range of areas including youth studies, education, social class, celebrity studies and the sociology of media and popular culture. A feminist researcher, my work is informed by a commitment to social justice.
I have worked on a range of research projects, including: ‘Celebrity Culture and Young People’s Classed and Gendered Aspirations’ (ESRC); Young women’s transitions in austerity (British Academy); and most recently 'Living Gender in Diverse Times' (ESRC) with Sally Hines and Sharon Elley at SSP.
I sit on the editorial board of the British Journal of Sociology of Education; the Journal of Poverty and Social Justice; and the Journal of Cultural Analysis and Social Change.
- Module Convenor - Reality TV: Truth or Fiction
I am module leader for Reality TV: Truth or Fiction (SLSP5370M)
I also teach on several modules across the school at undergraduate and postgraduate levels on topics including:
- educational inequalities and identities
- youth culture and sub-cultural studies
- schooling and educational identities (class, gender, race)
- gender, the media and popular culture
- research methods (qualitative)
- education policy and social justice.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies