Trans Studies: Reflections and Advances
- Date: Wednesday 23 March 2016, 13:00 – 16:00
- Location: University House
- Type: Conferences
- Cost: Free, registration is required in advance
Sexgen is a collaborative interdisciplinary network bringing together gender and sexuality based research centres around the North of England and Scotland.
We aim to bring academic research, writing and thinking on gender and sexuality into conversation with the ideas, cultural expressions and knowledge of community groups, cultural sites and activist organisations.
1.00 - 1.30 pm: Registration and Refreshments
1.30 - 1.40 pm: Welcome and Introductions: Dr. Sally Hines
1.40 - 2.10 pm: Prof. Surya Monro (University of Huddersfield): Beyond Gender Binaries: Issues of liminality, categories, and equalities
2.10 - 2.40 pm: Dr. Katherine Johnson (University of Brighton): Trans Matters: Exploring the now and then of Trans Studies
2.40 – 3.10 pm: Dr. Sally Hines (University of Leeds): The Feminist Frontier: Towards trans-inclusionary feminism
3.10 - 3. 40 pm: Discussant: Dr Francis Ray White (University of Westminster) and Questions
3.40 – 4.00 pm: Break
4.00 - 4.30 pm: Dr. M.J. Barker (The Open University): Non-Binary Gender So Far...
4.30 - 5. 00 pm: Dr. Tracey Yeadon – Lee (University of Huddersfield): Non-Binary Gender Narratives On-line
5. 00 - 5. 30 pm: Prof. Stephen Whittle (Manchester Metropolitan University): The End of Gender; Invalidating the Trans-identity and the need to be someone
5. 30 - 6. 00 pm: Discussant: Dr. Jay Prosser (University of Leeds) and Questions