Autism across the life course
- Start date: 1 January 2017
- End date: 31 December 2019
- Primary investigator: Dr Sharon Elley
Dr Sharon Elley is developing research into experiences of autism, institutional policy and practice and related barriers and pathways in education and employment.
Sharon is a project partner working as an interdisciplinary team on a 2-year research project called ‘A Society Fit for Autistics’. This is an autistic-led project funded by DRILL (2017-19) and team members include autistic academics and professionals. The project explores two central questions from the perspectives of autistic people and practitioners:
- How do autistic people use strategies –including logic, reasoning and rules– to understand social situations and other people’s reactions and to empower themselves?
- What are the barriers –including stereotypes, misconceptions and systemic issues– to autistic people using their strengths and appropriate strategies to participate in decision making, the economy and community?