Dr Marketa Dolezalova
- Position: ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow
- Areas of expertise: migration; Roma; mobility; medical anthropology; care; well-being; anthropology of the state; ethnicity; inequality; nationalism; belonging; religion and religious healing.
- Email: M.Dolezalova@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate
I joined the School of Sociology and Social Policy in October 2020 as an ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow.
I have a PhD in Social Anthropology from the University of Manchester. My PhD was funded by the ESRC through a CASE award and was supported by Advocacy Support (now Advonet) and was based on long-term ethnographic fieldwork among Roma in Leeds. Before starting my PhD I worked with Advocacy Support on research projects looking at the health needs of Roma in Leeds and at Roma experiences of healthcare provision.
I have an MA in Anthropological Research from the University of Manchester and BA in Anthropology from Goldsmiths College. Before joining the university I worked as a Research Associate on the ESRC funded project The Illiberal Turn at Loughborough University.
- Research Fellow
My research interests revolve around belonging, well-being and care. I am interested in the relationship between the state and its residents and how a sense of belonging or exclusion is negotiated in interactions between states, other organisation, collectivities and individual persons. In particular, I am interested in how access to resources and state-provided services like healthcare or welfare, or lack of such access, shape a sense of belonging. My doctoral research focused on Roma in Leeds and examined how Roma, who have historically experienced discrimination, exclusion and persecution, navigate their everyday lives in Leeds and what strategies they use to achieve a sense of belonging and having a good life. During my doctoral research I became interested in religious conversions and religious healing.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Social Anthropology, University of Manchester
- MA Anthropological Research, University of Manchester
- BA Anthropology, Goldsmiths College
- Fellow of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Member of the Czech Association of Social Anthropologists
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Ethnicity and Racism Studies