- Email: email@example.com
- Supervisors: Dr Lisa Buckner, Professor Angharad Beckett FRSA
Five years ago I embarked on my university journey after discovering an advert in the local newspaper for the Foundation Social Science programme at Leeds. The course operates under the widening participation scheme to enable students, like myself, with little or no previous qualifications, to realise and nurture their academic potential. I went on to complete my BA in Social Policy and Crime receiving a class I, and my MA in Social Research both at Leeds.
As a first generation student, academia has changed my life, in particular through completing the Foundation Social Science programme. My motivation comes from the desire to inspire and encourage my own children.
Having had the opportunity to realise my passion for academia and developing confidence in my ability, I decided to continue my journey, enrolling as a PhD student. On completion of my studies I hope to work in higher education as a lecturer.
My research centres around sociological perspectives and lived experiences of military personnel and their families. My previous research has included:
- From Soldier to Civilian: An analysis of offending amongst (ex)military personnel (undergraduate dissertation)
- CUTTING QUARTERS: A qualitative analysis of the Armed Forces Future Accommodation Model (FAM). (masters dissertation)
My PhD will be exploring inequalities in Service Children’s Education with a focus on Special Educational Needs provisions (SEN).
Carr, G. and Tatham, K. 2021. Excuse me, I have a delivery’ The [re] construction of interview ‘space' in the Covid-19 pandemic. Hillary Place Papers. (6), pp. 6-16. Available from: http://hpp.education.leeds.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/131/2021/10/1-Gemma-Carr-and-Karen-Tatham-Hillary-Place-Papers-Issue-6-October-2021.pdf
- BA Social Policy and Crime (Class I)
- MA Social Research (Distinction)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Disability Studies
- Centre for Research on Families, The Life Course and Generations