Dr Zhang Zinian
- Position: Lecturer in Business Law
- Areas of expertise: corporate insolvency; corporate rescue; company law; corporate finance and credit law
- Email: Z.Zhang2@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9942
- Location: 2.33 Liberty Building
I am currently a lecturer of business law. Before moving to Leeds in January 2016, I was a research fellow at Singapore Management University (2014-2015). Studying law at Durham University from 2008 to 2014 for my LLM and PhD, I also taught postgraduates corporate insolvency law there. I practised law, mainly in commerical and financial areas, in Hangzhou, the capital city of the Zhejiang Province, China, for a decade prior to entering into academia. Before being qualified as a lawyer in 1999, I had a short employment at a state-owned enterprise in China.
My research focuses on corporate insolvency law, especially the corporate reorganisation law in three jurisdictions: China, UK and USA. I mainly use the empirical method to explore the world of corporate reorganisations. My first monograph 'Corporate Reorganisations in China - An Empirical Analysis' is published with Cambridge University Press in October 2018.
Since 2017, I join an ESRC funded reseach project led by Professor Gerard McCormack investigating the pari passu distribution in China's corporate judgement executions, which is supposed to serve as a practical substitute of the formal corproate bankurptcy procedure; I had the permission to access a Chinese court archive on money judgement executions concluded in 2014, and I am using them to analyse how Chinese courts use the indiviudal debt collection procedure to seek fairness in the interest of creditors.
<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Boosting Growth through Strengthening Investor and Creditor Protection in China: How China Can Learn from the UK experience
- PhD in Law (Durham University)
- LLM (Durham University)
- JD (Zhejiang University)
- BEng (Jingdezhen University of Ceramics Technology)
- China Bar
- INSOL Academic Member
- Honorary Member of the Bankruptcy Law Research Centre at China University of Political Science and Law
I teach two modules for postgratuates and also act as the module leader for them:
- Insolvency Law
- Principles of International Financial Law
I am currently supervising six PhD researchers on corporate and financial law, many of them international.