Dr Ruth Pearce
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: transgender studies; trans health; women and gender; human reproduction; queer theory; feminist theory; Internet ethnography; autoethnography
- Email: R.Pearce1@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Social Sciences Building
- Website: Personal site | Trans Pregnancy | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am a trans feminist scholar. My research primarily examines discourses, practices and experiences of trans health. I have also carried out empirical work on DIY music scenes and academics’ involvement in Athena SWAN self-assessment teams.
My PhD was awarded by the University of Warwick in 2016. My thesis looked at how trans health is differently understood within trans communities, activist groups and professional literatures, with a range of meanings and practices contested within and between these spaces.
I am currently working on the ‘Trans Pregnancy’ project alongside Sally Hines, exploring the sociological, healthcare and policy implications of transmasculine reproductive practices.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- British Sociological Association
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Feminist and Women's Studies Association
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies