Dr Rosemary Lucy Hill
- Position: Lecturer in Sociology
- Areas of expertise: gender studies; popular music; critical data studies
- Email: R.L.Hill@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9801
- Location: 11.16 Social Sciences Building
I research gender, big data and popular music. I am currently researching sexual violence at live music events (funded by Leeds' Cultural Institute) and sexual violence in chart topping rock and metal lyrics (funded by BA/Leverhulme). My PhD (Centre for Women’s Studies, York) looked at representations and experiences of women hard rock and metal music fans. My postdoc (Seeing Data: are good big data visualisations possible?, Leeds) explored how people engage with data visualisations.
- Acting Director of Centre for Interdisciplinary Gender Studies
- MA Gender Studies programme leader
My research interests include the following.
- Gender and sexism
- Feminist methodologies
- Popular music fandom
- Rock and metal
- Digital data and data visualisations
- Digital lives
- Culture and the media
- Reader and audience response
- 20th century and contemporary literature
I was instrumental in putting together a website of guidance for non-experts users of data visualisations.
I am on the editorial advisory board of the journal Metal Music Studies.
I am the treasurer of the International Association for Popular Music (UK & Ireland branch)
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
I convene the following modules:
The Sociology of Gender (level 2)
The Social Life of Data (level 3)
Theorising Gender (MA)
I supervise gender, music and social media dissertations
Postgraduate research opportunities
The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.