Dr Nicole Nisbett
- Position: Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Climate Politics
- Areas of expertise: sustainability; natural language processing; data science; democratic engagement; society and climate change; quantitative research methods; computational social science
- Email: N.Nisbett@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 14.30 Social Sciences Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate
I joined the university in 2016 to do an MSc in Data Science and Analytics followed by a PhD in Computational Social Science.
I have worked in the civil service and inter-governmental organisations, and I am now a UKRI Postdoctoral Research Fellow in POLIS focussing on climate policies and social movements.
I am currently working with Dr Viktoria Spaiser on her UKRI Future Leaders Fellow research grant on how new social norms can trigger and accelerate social change (change in policies, institutions, behaviours) in response to the climate crisis.
We will explore whether social movements such as Fridays for Futures and Extinction Rebellion help to mobilise public perceptions of the climate emergency, and how the policies proposed during the COP conferences are being justified and implemented by governments.
Before this, my PhD was funded by the ESRC White Rose DTP in collaboration with the UK House of Commons. I researched how the UK Parliament communicated with the public online and how to improve their analysis of large volumes of textual data in the form of public opinions on social media.
I developed a web-based application for their Digital Engagement team to synthesise and summarise text data using established natural language processing techniques.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Computational Social Science
- MSc in Data Science & Analytics
- BA in Linguistics
- Centre for Democratic Politics
- International Parliament Engagement Network
- Political Studies Association
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Democratic Engagement