Dr Emma Wincup
- Position: Senior Lecturer in Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Areas of expertise: Drug use and drug policy (especially in relation to gender and 'vulnerable' groups); interconnections between crime and social policy; resettlement of prisoners, especially women
- Email: E.L.Wincup@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7453
- Location: 2.15 Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the School of Law in 2005, having previously held academic posts at the University of Kent, Cardiff University, University of Wales, Bangor and the University of Cambridge. I also spent a period of time in the late 1990s on secondment to the National Assembly for Wales to refocus their drug policy.
- Director of Student Support (Semester Two, 18/19)
My research is focused predominantly on drug use and its control. Current projects include patterns of new psychoactive substance use. recovery (from drug use), attitudes to current and former drug users and the impact of drug policy on women and 'vulnerable' groups..
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- PhD Social and Administrative Studies
- Diploma Social Science Research Methods
- MPhil Criminology
- BA Social and Political Sciences
- British Society of Criminology
- Social Policy Association
- International Society for the Study of Drug Policy
- Howard League Academic Fellow
Most of my current teaching is on the BA Criminal Justice and Criminology programme, particularly at Level 2. I also supervise UG and PG dissertations, alongside PhD students working on theses on drug and alcohol policy, imprisonment and probation practice.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Criminal Justice Studies
- Centre for Law and Social Justice
- Centre for Innovation and Research in Legal Education
Postgraduate research opportunities
The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.