Prof Dr Elies van Sliedregt
- Position: Chair in International & Comparative Criminal Justice
- Areas of expertise: criminal law; comparative criminal law; international criminal law; international law; legal pluralism, European criminal law; counter-terrorism, refugee exclusion
- Email: E.vanSliedregt@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8260
- Location: 2.10 Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the Law School in January 2016. Before I came to Leeds I was professor of Criminal Law at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Dean of the Faculty from 2011-2015. Previously I taught at Leiden University and Utrecht University.
I have held visiting fellowships in Cambridge, Oxford, Bologna, and at the University of New South Wales, Sydney. In 2015, I was Holding Redlich fellow at the Castan Center for Human Rights at Monash University Melbourne. At the ICC, I was a visiting professional with Chambers in 2010.
I am a member of the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities. Previously, from 2008-2013, I was member of the Young Academy of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) and alumna since 2013
I am senior editor of the Leiden Journal of International Law and a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Conflict and Security Law. I am also an author-contributor of the Oxford Bibliographies in International Law (on joint enterprise liability and conspiracy).
I have secured over £1 million in external research funding, as principal investigator. I have managed research studies in the fields of legal pluralism, criminal responsibility, and terrorism and the presumption of innocence funded by the Dutch Research Council.
My research interests include: comparative research into principles of criminal law (presumption of innocence, personal culpability), legal pluralism, European Arrest Warrant, terrorism, refugee exclusion<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD, University of Tilburg
- LL.M, University of Utrecht
- MA (Italian), University of Utrecht
- LLB , University of Utrecht
- BA (Italian), University of Utrecht
I have taught on:
- Mass Atrocities and Criminal Justice (LAW3516)
- Introduction to Criminal Law (LAW141)
- Criminal Law (LAW1260)
- Global Governance Through Law (LAW5866M)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Criminal Justice Studies