Professor Joan Loughrey
- Position: Professor of Law
- Areas of expertise: corporate governance; corporate law; regulation of the legal profession; legal professional privilege; financial conduct regulation.
- Email: J.M.Loughrey@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7158
- Location: 2.28, The Liberty Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate
I graduated from Somerville College, University of Oxford, with a degree in Jurisprudence. I then qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales and Hong Kong, practising as a commercial litigator before entering academia. I have lectured in Australia as well as in the UK.
I am the Principal Investigator on an Arts and Humanities Research Council funded project on Business Judgment and the Courts. This inter-disciplinary project between the School of Law, Leeds, and the Management School, Liverpool, began in October 2016 and concludes in October 2018. The project aims to explore what is meant by business judgment, how the courts apply this concept and to assess to what extent directors’ decisions in England and Wales should be subject to review by the courts (project award: £281,517).
I am also currently part of a team from the School of Law at the University of Leeds in a research project looking at 'Boosting growth through strengthening investor and creditor protection in China: How China can learn from the UK experience.' The project is in collaboration with the Management School at the University of Wuhan and is funded by the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) under its flagship Global Challenges Research Fund.
My published work includes a book on the corporate governance role of corporate lawyers, (Cambridge University Press), described as ‘a thoroughly enjoyable and stimulating text, addressing a topic of huge importance that deserves close reading by both practitioners and legal educators.’ (Riley, Journal of Business Law, 2013). I have contributed to edited collections and my articles have been published in prestigious peer reviewed journals such as the Modern Law Review, the Law Quarterly Review, Journal of Business Law, Legal Ethics, the Journal of Law and Society, and Legal Studies.
- Deputy Head of School
I research accountability and regulation in the context of corporate governance and the regulaiton of the legal professoin; director's duties, particularly the duty of care; and corporate litigation.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Boosting Growth through Strengthening Investor and Creditor Protection in China: How China Can Learn from the UK experience
- BA (Hons) Jurisprudence (Oxford)
- Law Society Finals (Merit)
- Qualified as solicitor in England and Wales
- Qualified as a solicitor in Hong Kong
- Pg Cert in Teaching (Merit)
- Society of Legal Scholars
- Socio-Legal Studies Association
I teach and supervise dissertations in the field of company law, corporate governance, legal ethics and the legal profession.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Business Law and Practice
- Centre for Innovation and Research in Legal Education