Dr Michael Wilson
- Position: Programme Leader for International Educational Management
- Email: M.D.Wilson@education.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4580
- Location: 1.13 Hillary Place
My principal research and teaching interests are in international, comparative and intercultural aspects of educational leadership and management, both in schools and the higher education sector.
My current interests include theory related to school culture, the ethics of school leadership, the professional learning and continuing professional development of educational leaders, research cultures in universities and leadership in the 14-19 curriculum. My international research interests include educational policy, schooling and higher education management in China. Recent and current Doctoral research topics under my supervision are as follows:
Reforming secondary education in Bahrain: A multi-case study of the policy implementation and the management of change at Alkurumah boys' and Almajd girls' secondary schools (EdD).
- Understanding student choice of university and marketing strategies in Syrian private higher education (PhD).
- Educational decentralisation and its implications for teacher leadership in secondary schools in Abuja, Nigeria (PhD).
- The evaluation of school leadership and management in Bahrain: A critical assessment of current policy and practice (PhD).
- Resilience in academia: A study of Latin American academics coping in their workplace in the United Kingdom (PhD).
- Decentralisation in Education in Indonesia: Implementation of school-based management/school based quality improvement at junior secondary schools in Pekanbaru municipality, Riau province (PhD).
- Decision making in the education faculties of King Saud University and the University of Leeds: A comparative analysis (PhD).
- Towards becoming a learning organisation: Assessing the effectiveness of the Ministry of Edcation (Oman) in promoting professional learning (EdD).
- Evaluating the role Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) in school leadership training (PhD).
- The strategic management of community relations at Sultan Qaboos University, Oman (PhD).
- BeD (Hons) Class 2:1, University of Sheffield
- BSc (Hons) Class 1 in Social Science, Open University
- MA in Modern Social History, Lancaster University
- EdD in Educational Management, University of Leeds
- PhD in Educational Management, University of Leeds
I direct the MA programme in International Educational Management and currently teach on three of the IEM modules: Developing Leadership, Effective Development of Policies and Plans for Change, and Developing Financial and Material Resources. I also contribute to the research methods modules on the MA programme.
I teach (or have taught) a number of bespoke management programmes, including a ten-week summer school in higher educational management for senior Chinese university managers and academics (2005-2009), snd a four-week school leadership programme for heads and deputy heads of Indonesian Islamic boarding schools (2004-2008). Since 2008, I have also contributed to head teacher training programmes in Beijing, Guangzhou, Hangzhou and Shanghai.