Emeritus Professor David Sugden
- Position: Emeritus Professor of Special Needs in Education
- Areas of expertise: Special educational needs; developmental disorders and motor development and impairment.
- Email: D.A.Sugden@education.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4533
- Location: G.13 Hillary Place
I have held major leadership roles in the University including Acting Vice Chancellor, Pro Vice Chancellor, Dean of three separate faculties and Head of School.
I have an academic background in developmental psychology, special education and physical education. Previously I have taught in primary, secondary and special schools plus lecturing at college and university level in the UK and the USA.
- motor development and motor impairment in children
- assessment, nature and intervention strategies for children with developmental coordination disorder
- construction and development of assessment instruments-general motor impairment, hand functions
- physical activity for children with special educational needs
Recent research projects:
- Assessment and intervention of developmental coordination disorder (DCD) in pre-school children (with Dr Mary Chambers)
- Field studies of planning and execution of movements in children with DCD
- Deaf children and movement competence.
- Part of National Children's Study (USA) a longitudinal study of the health of 100,000 children from birth to emerging adulthood.
- Hand functions and Virtual Learning Environment in chidlren with DCD (In Psychology).
Member of numerous academic organisations including BPS, ACPP, NASPSPA, NASEN, PEAUK, Chartered Psychologist and Fellow of the International Academy for Research into Learning Disabilities; International Fellow of Kinesiology; Felleow of the British Physical Education Association.
Research grants have been obtained from SCOPE, ESRC, Action Research, Sports Council, NHS.
Teaching has included masters level courses on children with learning difficulties, movement skill difficulties and emotional and behavioural difficulties plus courses on generic aspects of special educational needs. Currently runs postgraduate Course on Provision for Children with Developmental Disorders-ASD,DCD. ADHD, Dyslexia.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p> <h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>