Dr Robbie Love
- Position: Research Fellow in Applied and Corpus Linguistics
- Areas of expertise: corpus linguistics; corpus design; applied linguistics; English language; English linguistics; discourse analysis; language education
- Email: R.Love@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4531
- Location: G.29 Hillary Place
- Website: Dr Robbie Love | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds in February 2018. Prior to this, I received my PhD in Linguistics from Lancaster University in 2017, under the supervision of Professor Tony McEnery, before undertaking a postdoctoral appointment at the University of Cambridge's English exam board, Cambridge Assessment English, in the same year.
- Fixed-term staff representative, School of Education Research & Innovation Committee
- Organiser, Language@Leeds Corpus Linguistics Satellite
Broadly speaking, my research interests are in:
- applied linguistics,
- corpus linguistics, especially methodology,
- language (in) education,
- LGBT inequalities.
Currently, I am focussing on creating opportunities for corpus methods to inform issues of language in mainstream UK education, working primarily with Professor Alice Deignan.
I am part of the research team for the British National Corpus 2014 (BNC2014) at Lancaster University, where, in collaboration with Cambridge University Press, I worked on the compilation of the spoken part of the corpus (the Spoken BNC2014): a new, 11.5 million word corpus of informal, real-life spoken British English, which was made available to the public in 2017.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Linguistics
- MA Language and Linguistics
- BA Hons Linguistics
- British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL)
At the School of Education I teach about the analysis of language through a range of theoretical frameworks. I have also taught about corpus linguistics, English language, linguistics and linguistic typology.
I currently co-supervise one PhD student (Darren Perrett).
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Language Education