Dr Robbie Love
- Position: Research Fellow in Applied and Corpus Linguistics
- Areas of expertise: corpus linguistics; corpus design; applied linguistics; English language; English linguistics; discourse analysis; language education
- Email: R.Love@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4531
- Location: G.29 Hillary Place
- Website: Dr Robbie Love | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds in February 2018. Prior to this, I received my PhD in Linguistics from Lancaster University in 2017, under the supervision of Professor Tony McEnery, before undertaking a postdoctoral appointment at the University of Cambridge's English exam board, Cambridge Assessment English, in the same year.
Broadly speaking, my research interests are in corpus linguistics, applied linguistics and language (in) education. Currently, I am focussing on creating opportunities for corpus methods to inform issues of language in mainstream UK education, working primarily with Professor Alice Deignan.
I am part of the research team for the British National Corpus 2014 (BNC2014) at Lancaster University, where, in collaboration with Cambridge University Press, I worked on the compilation of the spoken part of the corpus (the Spoken BNC2014): a new, 11.5 million word corpus of informal, real-life spoken British English, which was made available to the public in 2017.
I also maintain an interest in representations of sexuality in public discourse and ‘bad language’.
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- PhD Linguistics
- MA Language and Linguistics
- BA Hons Linguistics
- British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL)
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL)
I have taught modules on corpus linguistics, English language, linguistics and linguistic typology.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Language Education
Postgraduate research opportunities
The school welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//essl.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.