Dr Mariya P Ivancheva
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: economic and political sociology and anthropology; education; labour; higher education; policy; inequality; precarity; Venezuela; Ireland; South Africa; Eastern Europe
- Email: M.Ivancheva@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6599
- Location: 1.06 Hillary Place
- Website: Academia.Edu Profile | Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I am an anthropologist and sociologist. My doctoral dissertation (CEU, 2013) explored ethnographically the development of the Bolivarian University of Venezuela. Before joining Leeds, I worked as an IRC postdoctoral research fellow at University College Dublin, exploring the rise of precarity and inequality in Irish higher education.
At Leeds, I am a postdoctoral fellow within an ESRC/Newton/NRF-sponsored collaborative project The Unbundled University that studies the impact of digital technologies, marketization and unbundling on universities in South Africa and the UK. I use qualitative methods and social theory to explore the internationalisation and commercialisation of universities, the digitalisation and unbundling of teaching and learning, and the automation and casualisation of academic labour.
The main focus of my research and research-led teaching is the role of the university in broader processes of social change. I explore the complexities of higher education reforms in the neoliberal era, researching the ways in which universities service elite reproduction and/or inspire collective imaginaries for redistribution, innovation, and transformation. I discuss these through the lens of casualisation and automation of academic labour, the marketisation and digitalisation of university education, and the exacebration of intersectional inequalities in the university settings.
As an engaged scholar I have been a member of a number of research-led platforms, working on topics of anti-racism, labour rights, gender and financial justice.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Sociology and Social Anthropology
- MA in Sociology and Social Anthropology
- MA in European Thought
- BA in Philosophy
- American Anthropological Association
- European Association of Social Anthropology
- International Sociological Association
- British Sociological Association
I currently teach within the module EDUC5263M Digital Learning in Practice and supervise at MA level.