Dr. Yan Zhu
- Position: Teaching Fellow in Childhood Studies
- Areas of expertise: Childhood Studies; Children's personal lives and relationships; Friendship; School ethnography; Chinese childhood.
- Email: Y.Zhu1@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 9288
- Location: G.10 Hillary Place
BA Sociology, Wuhan University, China (2008-2012)
MA Sociology, University of Warwick, UK (2012-2013)
MSc Childhood Studies, University of Edinburgh, UK (2014-2015)
Ph.D. Social Policy, University of Edinburgh, UK (2015-2019)
- MA Childhood Studies Programme Leader
I have recently completed a project to explore the complexity and diversity of Chinese children’s understandings and practices of peer friendships in the context of a rural primary boarding school (funded by the University of Edinburgh and Chinese Scholarship Council). I am interested in researching:
- Children’s everyday lives and personal relationships;
- Intimacy and display in relationships;
- Children’s school experiences, with a focus on gender, sexuality, and power relations;
- Children’s rights, especially rights to protection and participation;
- Methods of doing researches with children and young people;
- Ethics in practices in China-based fieldwork;
- Childhood experiences in China.
- British Sociological Association
- Centre for Research on Families and Relationships
- I am a Teaching Fellow in Childhood Studies, teaching both undergraduate and postgraduate modules with a focus on children’s everyday lives and personal relationships.
- I look after both undergraduate and postgraduate students as a personal tutor;
- I supervise MA Childhood Studies students’ dissertations.